SRI LANKAN LOVE CAKE RECIPE
Prep time - 15 mins | Cook time - 1 hour | Serves 6-8
A classic Sri Lankan treat, this delicate, beautiful cake is just perfect in thin slices with a milky coffee or herbal tea.
Melted butter, to grease
185 grams (1 ¼ cups) raw unsalted cashews
100 grams unsalted butter, at room temperature
150 grams (¾ cups) Sugars of the World Sri Lankan Rapadura Sugar
4 egg yolks
120 grams (⅔ cup) semolina
90 grams (¼ cup) honey
2 teaspoons rosewater
1 teaspoon ground cardamom
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
¼ teaspoon nutmeg
2 egg whites
CSR Soft Icing Mixture and edible rose petals, to serve
1. Preheat oven to 150°C (or 130°C fan forced) and grease and line a 20cm cake tin with baking paper.
2. Place the cashews in a food processor and blitz until finely chopped.
3. Cream the butter and rapadura sugar together in an electric mixer until pale and creamy then add egg yolks, one at a time, beating well between each addition. Now fold through the cashew meal, semolina, honey, rosewater and spices.
4. Beat the egg whites together until firm peaks then, very gently, fold this mixture into the cake batter.
5. Spoon mixture into the cake tin and smooth over the top. Bake for 1 hour or until the top is firm to touch. Turn the oven and wedge open the door with a wooden spoon and let cool completely like this.
6. Turn cake onto a serving plate, dust with icing mixture and rose petals then serve.