SPICED SCONES WITH WARM CARAMELISED BANANAS RECIPE
Prep time - 10 mins | Cook time - 20 mins | Makes about 8 large scones
These easy spiced scones served with warm caramelised bananas make a gorgeous breakfast or brunch treat. Serve straight from the oven with a dollop of natural yogurt. Yum!
300 grams (2 cups) self-raising flour
300 grams (2 cups) wholemeal self raising flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
3 tablespoons Sugars of the World Sri Lankan Rapadura Sugar
1 teaspoon salt
160 grams cold unsalted butter, cut into small chunks
500 ml (2 cups) buttermilk
Extra buttermilk and Rapadura Sugar for brushing and dusting
For the caramelised bananas:
2 bananas, sliced on an angle
50 grams butter
3 tablespoons Rapadura Sugar
1. Preheat oven to 200°C (or 180°C fan forced) and line a baking tray with parchment paper.
2. Place the flours, baking powder, rapadura sugar and salt in the bowl of your food processor and process for a minute to aerate and remove any lumps. Or if making these by hand, just whisk together for a minute.
3. Add the butter and blitz until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs, or rub butter into the flour mixture with your fingertips until you have the same consistency.
4. Tip mixture out onto a work surface and make a well in the centre. Pour in the buttermilk and gently knead to form a rough dough - don’t overwork at this point or the scones will come out too dense.
5. Form dough into a disc about 4cm high and dip a scone cutter or glass tumbler in flour then cut out the scones, reforming the dough (gently) as needed, into a disc and flouring the cutter each time.
6. Arrange the scones fairly closely together on your prepared dish, brush with a little extra buttermilk and scatter with extra rapadura sugar before placing in the oven for 20 minutes.
7. For the bananas, place all ingredients in a heavy-based frying pan over medium heat and cook, gently turning the bananas often, until the butter and sugar melt together to form a deep caramel and the bananas have softened nicely.
8. Once ready, remove from the oven and wrap in a clean tea towel to keep warm. Serve immediately with the warm bananas and a dollop of natural yogurt.