SPICED MEXICAN WEDDING COOKIES RECIPE
Prep time - 10 minutes (plus 20 minutes resting time) | Cook time - 20 minutes | Makes about 20
Beautiful and gently spiced, these biscuits will keep well for a few days and are great with your morning coffee or afternoon cup of tea!
220 grams unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
160 grams (1 cup) Sugars of the World Mexican Agave Sugar, plus more for dusting
1 teaspoon pure vanilla or almond extract
1 large egg, lightly beaten
300 grams (2 cups) plain flour
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon fine salt
60 grams (½ cup) almond meal
1. Cream butter and agave sugar together with an electric mixer until pale and fluffy. Beat in the vanilla and egg then fold through the flour, spices, salt and almond meal.
2. Turn dough onto a work surface and form into a disc, wrap in plastic and place in the fridge to rest for 20 minutes.
3. Preheat oven to 180°C (or 160°C fan forced) and line two baking trays with parchment paper.
4. Roll biscuit dough into small balls, about 1 tablespoon of dough for each and about the size of an un-shelled walnut.
5. Place these dough balls on your baking sheets, about 3cm apart then bake for 10-15 minutes or until pale golden brown. Transfer to a wire rack to cool enough to handle. While still warm, sieve over the sugar fairly liberally and serve or keep in an airtight container for 2-3 days.