SAGO PUDDING WITH COCONUT MILK AND RAPADURA SYRUP RECIPE
Prep time - 10 mins (plus one hour setting time) | Cook time - 10 mins | Serves 4-6
Sago is easy, delicious comfort food and in this case is given a bit of extra style with the rich rapadura syrup and drizzle of coconut milk.
300 grams (1½ cups) sago
165 grams (¾) Sugars of the World Sri Lankan Rapadura Sugar
125 ml (½ cup) water
325 ml (1½ cups) coconut milk
1. Fill a large saucepan with water and bring to the boil. Add the sago and stir to stop the pearls sticking together. Cook for 15 minutes or until the sago floats to the surface and the pearls have become transparent. Stirring often as you go.
2. Drain and rinse in cold water four times to wash away extra starch then transfer to a large bowl.
3. Beat the egg white until soft peaks then stir this into the sago. Stir in two tablespoons of the rapadura sugar then divide into individual moulds or spoon into one large bowl then cover and place in the fridge to set, this should take about 1 hour.
4. To make the syrup, combine remaining rapadura sugar and the water in a small saucepan on medium high. Bring to the boil, stirring to dissolve the sugar crystals then reduce heat to low and simmer for five minutes or until the syrup thickens up nicely.
5. Serve puddings turned out onto plates and drizzled with the coconut cream and syrup to taste.