HUMMINGBIRD CAKE RECIPE
Prep time - 10 mins | Cook time - 1 hour | Serves 8
A moist, dense cake that’s full of flavour, this can also be made as individual loaves or in a round cake tin. The icing is delicious but can also be swapped out in favour of a dusting of icing sugar.
260 grams (1¾ cups) self-raising flour
1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
1 teaspoon mixed spice
165 grams (¾ cup) firmly packed Sugars of the World Indonesian Coconut Blossom Sugar
60 grams (¾ cup) desiccated coconut
2 eggs, lightly beaten
125 ml (½ cup) vegetable oil
185 ml (¾ cup) coconut cream
1 cup mashed banana (about 2 bananas)
440 grams fresh pineapple, cut into chunks or 440g crushed pineapple in juice, well drained
Cream cheese icing:
250 grams cream cheese, chopped, at room temperature
160 grams (1 cup) CSR Soft Icing Mixture
Zest and juice of one lemon
45 grams (¾ cup) shredded coconut (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 180°C (or 160°C fan forced) and grease and line a 20cm cake tin with baking paper.
2. Sift the flour, baking soda and mixed spice together then add the coconut blossom sugar and coconut.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk together the wet ingredients and then gently fold these into the dry ones. Spoon mixture into the cake tin and smooth over the surface.
4. Bake for 1 hour or until the cake feels firm to touch and a skewer comes out clean. Cool in tin for 5 mins, then let cool completely on a wire rack.
5. To make the icing; place all ingredients except for the shredded coconut into the bowl of an electric mixer and beat until pale and fluffy.
6. Once cake is completely cool, spread with icing and scatter with the shredded coconut.