FRESH GINGER CAKE RECIPE
Prep time - 15 mins | Cook time - 45 mins | Serves 8
A gorgeous cake with deep and almost spicy warmth from the fresh ginger and finished with a tangy lemon icing. Perfect with a strong cup of Earl Grey for morning tea!
125 grams butter
125 grams (1 cup) Sugars of the World Sri Lankan Rapadura Sugar
2 eggs, beaten
175 grams (½ cup) CSR Golden Syrup
3 tablespoons fresh ginger, finely grated
250 ml (1 cup) milk
300 grams (2 cups) plain flour
1 pinch salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 tablespoons ground ginger
1 teaspoon mixed spice
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda mixed with 1 tablespoon milk
Ginger Butter Icing:
240 grams (1½ cups) CSR Soft Icing Mixture
1 teaspoon ground ginger, plus a little extra to sprinkle
25 grams butter, melted
1. Preheat oven to 180°C (or 160°C fan forced) and grease and line a 24cm ring cake tin with baking paper.
2. Cream the butter and sugar together in an electric mixer until pale and creamy then add eggs, one at a time, beating well between each addition. Add the golden syrup, fresh ginger and milk and beat for another minute.
3. Fold through the flour, baking powder, salt, spices and bicarbonate of soda in milk until just combined then spoon mixture into your prepared cake tin and smooth over the top.
4. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until the top feels firm to touch and the cake is beginning to pull away from the tin’s sides. Let cool in the tin for a few minutes then turn out to cool completely on a wire rack.
5. For the icing, mix all ingredients together, adding boiling water as you go until you achieve the desired consistency. Spread over the cake and sprinkle with ground ginger.