DARK STICKY GLAZED PORK BELLY RECIPE
Prep time - 15 mins | Cook time - 2 ½ hours | Serves 6
This pork belly recipe is a showstopper and just perfect with a crunchy fresh slaw for an impressive, but easy dinner.
1.5 kg pork belly, skin scored with a sharp blade but not too close to the meat
1-2 teaspoon sea salt
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon of CSR Treacle
Juice and zest of one orange
3 tablespoons of balsamic vinegar
100 grams Sugars of the World Australian Muscovado Sugar
2 cloves of garlic, finely grated
1 thumb sized piece of ginger, finely grated
1 star anise
1 onion, cut in 1cm slices
1. Preheat oven to 220°C (or 200°C fan forced). Pat dry the pork belly with kitchen towel and rub sea salt into the skin. Pat dry again and then rub in the olive oil.
2. Roast the pork belly for one hour or until the skin begin to crackle up nicely.
3. Turn oven down to 180°C (or 160°C fan forced) and roast for a further hour and a half.
4. To make the glaze, combine the treacle, orange juice and zest, vinegar, muscovado sugar, garlic, ginger, and star anise in a small saucepan. Whisk together and bring mixture to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer for five minutes or until you have a thick syrup.
5. Once the pork has finished its second roasting, check the crackling, if it isn’t as golden and crunchy as you’d like, just finish off under a hot grill for a few minutes before removing from the oven and brushing very liberally with the glaze.
6. Serve in generous slices with extra glaze.